Thursday 5 August 2010

Leadership Challenge - Setting out my stall

Setting out my stall:-

As I’m sure you all know by now, my former blog site, richardbarnbrook.com was suddenly hijacked when I put my name forward for the leadership challenge, so sadly, all my earlier reports have been lost. As I’m not in the business of asking for unnecessary donations, I don’t have the advantage of a specially designed swish leadership challenge site! What I am doing though is using this blog in order to put forward some of my ideas.

So please take a look at my entries to see what I stand for. I also will be posting some of my earlier videos, which give an insight into the work I have been doing at the GLA, as well as one or two speeches that I’ve made in the past. Hopefully these will give those of you who haven’t met me an idea of what I am like in person.

This is a campaign that is being fought largely on management issues. However, setting aside the name-calling, which is absolutely unnecessary and unworthy, the personality, or rather the character and the strengths of the candidates is of fundamental importance. The question is, what sort of person would make a good leader for our Party?

Intellectual ability is not enough. You only need to look at some of our establishment big-wigs to see that! Having what many would see as all the right answers is not enough. Simply promising change as an instant ‘fix-all’ is not enough. Because I don’t believe it’s possible to be a truly successful leader unless you can really take people with you, heart and soul. Being in the right is only half the battle.

Some of the greatest victories in history occurred when battles were waged against such odds that they looked downright impossible to win. What was it that carried those foot soldiers and sailors over the edge to defy their very reason? Discipline played its part certainly, but rules and regulations, without an exhilarated, ‘can-do’ spirit can’t work these sorts of miracles. I believe it was the inspiration of valiant leadership which encouraged the individual rank and file to reach for the moon with both hands- and attain it!

True leadership, in my book, means you have to be able to take people with you, not just by winning the argument, but by winning hearts as well as minds. And that is why I am the leader I firmly believe our Party needs to bring us together right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment